As one of the modern sports which appeared early in Vietnam (in the 20th century), football quickly developed. After the establishment of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, football was an early sport that had a professional social organization recognized by international organizations. Vietnam Football Association (VFA) was born.
In 1964, Vietnam became the official member of FIFA and AFC.
In 1960, Vietnam Football Association was established in the North. Its first president Hà Đăng Ấn, head of Railway Department and a former football star.
In 1989, following the “Đổi mới” reform, Vietnam Football Federation was prepared to establish. The preparation committee included Head Mr. Duong Nghiep Chi (Deputy Manager of Sports and Physical Training); members Mr. Hoang Vinh Giang (Director of Sports and Physical Training Hanoi), Mr. Le Buu (Director of Sport and Physical Training Ho Chi Minh City), Mr. Ngo Xuan Quynh (Leader of The Cong Delegation), Mr. Le The Tho (Deputy Head – Ministry of Sports and Physical Training).
After 3 months of preparation, in August 1989, the 1st Congress of Vietnam Football Federation included 120 delegators who were representatives of the Vietnamese Football Community held at Hanoi. After reporting about the situation and the mission of Vietnamese Football, Congress announced to establish the Vietnam Football Federation (VFF), issued VFF’s regulation and elected the Executive Committee with 26 members.
During 25 years, VFF has led Vietnamese Football to reach many achievements and introduced Vietnam with international friends.
VIETNAM FOOTBALL FEDERATION
Address: Lê Quang Đạo Str., Phú Đô Ward, Nam Từ Liêm Dist., Hanoi City, Vietnam
Phone: (+84) -0438452480
Fax: +84 -0438233119
FIFA affiliation: 1964
AFC affiliation: 1964
Home KIT: Red – Red – Red
In 1994, VFF 2nd Executive Committee kicked-off the Logo design competition and received 32 productions of 20 artists around the world.
VFF invited the famous artists of the Vietnam Fine Arts Association (VFAA), the professors of the University of Fine Arts to become the judges. Finally, the design of artist Nguyen Ngoc Than (Ministry of Sports and Physical Training) became the official symbol of VFF.
This design had a yellow background with the red color of Vietnam’s flag and green color of the grass. The name of the Vietnam Football Federation was also highlighted. Inside the red triangle had the picture of a ball. The red and yellow color were mixed to become the English name of the Vietnam Football Federation: VFF.
This logo was accepted by FIFA, AFC, AFF, and other federations.
After 12 years, VFF relished that they need to complete the logo to show up the character of a national federation to go out the international.
According to the Decision of VFF Committee at the 3rd plenum (12 July 2006) about the Logo design competition, VFF kicked-off the competition on 21st Nov 2006.
After 3 months, the competition attracted many artists as well as spectators. Until 4th Jan 2007, the organizer received 647 productions, from that choosing 10 best productions into the semi-final. In which, 3 best designs were chosen into the final.
These designs were reported at the 1st and 2nd Annual Meeting 2007, the delegators agreed that the design of artist Nguyen Cong Quang was the best production at this competition.
On 28th Apr 2008, VFF Executive Committee finally decided to use a new logo in all events since 1st May 2008. The previous logo was expired since 31st Dec 2008.
The logo of VFF is belonging to VFF. All actions related to this logo need to have the agreement of VFF.
THE CURRENT PRESIDENT
Mr. Lê Khánh Hải (was born on 27th May 1966 at Quảng Trị)….
- 1982 – 1988: Studied at Institute of Military Technology before working at 7th Military Region (Ho Chi Minh City)
- 1988-1990: Vietnam Ocean Shipping Joint Stock Company.
- 1990-1995: Deputy Manager of Import-Export Department, Cultural Development & Import-Export Joint Stock Company (CDIMEX).
- 1995-2001: Deputy Director, Cell Secretary of Cultural Development & Import-Export Joint Stock Company (CDIMEX).
- 2001-2004: Director, Cell Secretary of Cultural Development & Import-Export Joint Stock Company (CDIMEX).
- 2005-2007: Director, Secretary of Party Committee of the Vietnam Exhibition Centre for Culture and Arts.
- 2008 – June 2010: Head of Emulation and Commendation Department (Ministry of Cultural, Sports, and Tourism).
- June 2010 – 2018: Deputy Minister, Secretary of Party Committee of Ministry of Cultural, Sports, and Tourism, in charge of many fields including sports and physical training, particularly General Department of Sports and Physical Training.
- 8th Oct 2020, he was appointed as Vice Chairman of the Office of the President
- Jan 2021, at 13rd National Congress, he was elected as a member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam
- 26th Mar 2021 until now, he was appointed as Chairman of the Office of the President