Hosts Vietnam will take on a rampaging Thailand side in their first-ever final of the AFF Futsal Championship 2009 here at the Phu Tho Stadium in two days.

14/06/2009 00:00:00

Hosts Vietnam will take on a rampaging Thailand side in their first-ever final of the AFF Futsal Championship 2009 here at the Phu Tho Stadium in two days. 


Vietnam (white) edged Indonesia 8-7 on sudden penalties – Photo XCuong



In the semi-finals matches this afternoon, Vietnam edged Indonesia 8-7 on sudden penalties after a 3-3 deadlock at the end of regulation while the Thais – represented by their Under-21 side – thrashed the Philippines 8-2.


“It was a very had game but the fans were behind us and now we look forward to playing in the final,“ said Pattaya Piemkum, the head coach for Vietnam.


“It will be another hard game against the Thais but I think that we can pick up some things from the match today and put up a good fight.“


Pattaya, who had previously coached the Thailand national team, pushed his Vietnam side to start the game on a more aggressive note as they were buoyed by the attendance of several thousand supporters.


And while they managed to put up the pressure, the Indonesians just seems to be unaffected as they continued much in the same vein as they had done in previous matches.


In the 14th minute, Indonesia had their first real chance in the game but after having Vietnamkeeper Dang Phuoc Anh beaten, Alfiansyah Nur just could not make it count.


Vietnam then created a string of chances but Nguyen Quoc Binh just muffed them all.


And just when things seem to be heading for a deadlock at the break, Quoc Binh finally made good when he delivered a short flick into the Indonesian goal following a corner for the 1-0 lead at the half.


Indonesia started stronger after the break and just three minutes in, Alfiansyah scored the equaliser following a pass from captain Denny Handoyo.


A minute later, Sayan Karmadi added to his tally with the second goal off a power play to putIndonesia in front for the first time in the game.


But in the 27th minute, Vietnam gained a penalty after Hendra Kurniawan was faulted for pushing Nguyen Hoang Giang for which he picked up his second yellow card in the game and an automatic exit.


Bao Quan did not disappoint from the spot to put the score at 2-2.


Five minutes later, Vietnam were in front again when Bao Quan blasted in the lead.


With less than two minutes remaining, Vietnam keeper Tran Trung Kien was penalised for pushing Maulana Ihsan inside the D for which Sayan converted the ensuing penalty.


With the score still tied in extra-time, the shootout saw the score standing at 2-2 each after the first five mandatory penalty while in the sudden death, goalkeeper Yos Adi Wicaksono missed his chance to give Vietnam the win.


“It was a game in which we should have won but the players were not relaxed enough,” said Justinus Lhaksana, the head coach of Indonesia.


“It is a little disappointing to look forward to playing for third but we are paying for our mistakes.”


In the meantime, Thailand need not suffer such high drama in their semi-final encounter where after taking a 2-1 lead at the half, the defending champions just accelerated their effort after the breather for the remaining goals to win 8-2.


“We are on track as far as our target is concerned,” said Samart Sappoj, the team manager ofThailand.


“The players played well and we are not at all worried about conceding the two goals.”


Thailand started strongly with the usual effervescent Keattiyot Chalaemkhet leading the attack alongside the wily Suphawut Thuenklang.


And after come sustained pressure, the Thais finally broke the deadlock in the sixth minute as Suphawut made good on a back pass off Kritsada Wongkaeo.


Na-Tee Thusiri then made it 2-0 barely a minute later when he slammed home off a quick counter-attack as the strain began to show on the Philippines’ line.


As the clock trickled down to the break, Philippines finally scored their first goal of the game in the 19th minute when Peyman Nejadsafavi blasted home a short chip from Edward Mallari.


The score at the half was 2-1 in favour of the Philippines.


The break saw Thailand stepping up their efforts and where a series of individual mistakes on the part of the Philippines allowed the defending champions to pile on the misery.


The Thais raced to an 8-1 lead going into the final two minutes off goals form Kritsada (21st minute), Jirawat Sornwichian (22nd, 25th and 28th), Jetsada Chudech (29th) and Wiwat Thaijaruen (38th).


Philippines scored their second goal of the game with just a minute remaining from Misagh Bahadoran.


“There were a lot of personal mistakes in the game and if we could have minimised that, it would have been different,” said sedigh Esmaeil, the head coach of the Philippines.


“But it was a much improved performance from last year and we hope to do even better in the next edition.”



FIXTURES and RESULTS (All matches at the Phu Tho Stadium)


8 June 2009





9 June 2009





10 June 2009





12 June 2009





14 June

1500hrs: Philippines vs Indonesia

1700hrs: Thailand vs Vietnam